Tuesday, July 14, 2015

August Speaker ... Lorilynn King

 
 
 
Lorilynn King, speaker for our August 12th meeting, will present:
The Creation of  “A Pocket Full of Paisleys”
 
 
"A Pocket Full of Paisleys"
Best Wall Quilt
2015 AQS QuiltWeek® – Albuquerque
 
 
Lorilynn King
 
 
I was raised in a small town in rural northeastern Colorado.  I love music, and studied piano for over 10 years, but decided I did not really want to be a teacher and probably was not talented enough to be a professional musician.  (However, I do get paid for accompanying gigs from time to time!)  I also love math, and earned a degree in electrical engineering.  I have been employed in the IT industry for over thirty years.  This job supports my fabric and thread habit and sewing machine habits! 
Quilting is a natural fit for me because of my fascination with geometry (math) and color (relating to my more artistic side). My only formal art training was a year of high school art, but it had a huge impact on how I approach my quilting.
I began sewing at age nine when I joined a 4-H club. I completed a sewing project every year for ten years and learned all about having judges scrutinize my work!
Upon starting college I made a tied quilt for my dorm room, but did not really get the quilting “bug” until ten years later.  I saw some quilting magazines and was fascinated with the geometry and color.  I made a sampler quilt and then realized that I had to figure out how to quilt the darn thing!  (It is still a UFO….)
I have three grown children, and currently reside in Longmont CO with my husband Jon (a CNC machinist) and our menagerie of three cats and a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.