Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mary McCauley - Fiber Artist

Shards: Self-Portrait as Pottery

Tetrahedron Fun


Mary McCauley will present her program "Fabric and Form" at the May 14th meeting of Estes Valley Quilt Guild. Mary is a mixed media fiber artist and member of Front Range Contemporary Quilters. She subscribes to the Wabi Sabi  aesthetic:

"Wabi Sabi is the Japanese expression of the imperfection in nature that makes it beautiful. It also conveys the impermanence of nature and the simple truth that nothing lasts, nothing is finished and nothing is perfect. Nature and it's imperfections are my inspiration and my goal in art. I use a variety of natural and recycled materials in hopes that their inherent imperfections will strengthen my work and add character to it."

Here is how Mary describes her presentation:

Fabric and Form is a trunk show of vessels and pop up pages in quilted form with an accompanying talk and Q/A session. Old and new, familiar and innovative, building on the past and exploring the unknown - these are the successful themes I discuss. The goal is to open the audience's perception of 1) What is 3D fiber art, 2) How is it made, and 3) Where is it going. I use many visual images and a full display of my own art as examples to show the audience these concepts. Audience members are encouraged to put on the white gloves I bring and touch the art, hold it up, and move it around to get the full 3D experience.

Visit her website at:  http://www.maryhmmccauley.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.